Wednesday, July 1, 2009

steak frites

We practiced our knife skills practical today and then went on to make grilled steak, veggies, and french fries. What was funny is that the potatoes we cut for our knife skills were what we fried up, perfectly squared ends and all uniform. I doubt anyone in the industry actually makes perfectly squared french fries that don't utilize the entire potato. My camera was running out of battery, so I didn't have that many pictures.

Here is my tray:


The demo wasn't too exciting today, but here is Chef making compound butter for the top of the steaks:






Grilling the veggies for provencal style grilled vegetables:

Roasting the bell peppers to get the skin off:

After they were roasted and grilled, we diced them up and reheated them through with some provencal herbs (thyme, rosemary, and basil) and finished with a touch of balsamic vinegar:

To make the fries, we first blanched them in a lower degree oil until they looked like this, then fried them again to make them super crispy:

Here is my steak marinating in some olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic and crushed peppercorns:

We grilled our steaks to medium rare, which was nerve wracking for me because you can never quite tell how hot the grill is, and I was striving for perfect cross hatch grill marks. Here is my final plate, the steak grilled to medium rare, topped with compound butter, and served with french fries and grilled vegetables provencal style.




No comments:

Post a Comment