Tuesday, June 30, 2009

spatzle

Since I hadn't had breakfast yesterday because eating at 5:30 is not appealing at all, I decided to have breakfast for dinner, with this corned beef/baby greens and eggs.


In class, we made fried pork cutlets, sauteed kale, coleslaw, and spatzle. I have never made spatzle, so that was exciting. Sorry, I don't have much to say, its been a long day and I'm exhausted.

Here is Chef demonstrating spatzle using the spatzle maker. You pour the dough batter(flour, milk, and eggs) into this cup. Then you pull back and forth so the dough falls through the slots and makes the pasta:


Chef's demo plate:


Here is part of my mise en place for the morning:


Ingredients for spatzle dough, flour, eggs, milk:


The traditional method is to mix the ingredients by hand until elastic:






Then I poured it into the cup and let it fall through into salted boiling water:



For one of the side dishes, we made mayonnaise by hand, then made it into coleslaw. You probably can't tell from the pictures, but the carrots are cut into fine julienne, which is perfect squared ends and 1-2 inch in length.

My finished plate, which of course I didn't eat because I don't groove on the pork:

So I went to the Americas kitchen and got some fajitas. I just ate the steak with some guacamole and salsa since I'm doin the low carb thing:


No comments:

Post a Comment