Friday, June 26, 2009

endless opportunities for extern























Happy Friday Everyone! It has been a long and eventful week to say the least. And to finish it off, as soon as I was done meeting with the career services counselor, a storm started and by the time I got to my car, I was dripping wet. On the positive side, the UK lifted its ban on student visas so now I can apply to work there for my externship :-D 

In class today, we made fresh pasta (fettuccine), sauteed chicken supreme with fines herbes sauce, and paysanne cut root vegetables. It was fairly straight forward and one of the tastiest dishes we have made yet. This was due to the sauce for one, we used 6 oz of glace de vollaile, chicken stock that has been reduced down to a gloss, about a gallon down to 2 cups, which results in an extremely concentrated chicken flavor. That is thinned out with some shallots, white wine, heavy cream, and finished with herbs.

Chef pounding out the chicken so its even thickness and cooking time:






And my paysanne (flat square) cuts of vegetables to be tossed with pasta right before plate up:

My fresh fettucine:

My sauteed chicken cooking. Saute traditionally is done completely on the stove (which we did), but can also be seared on the stove and finished off in the oven if you don't have enough burner space:


We poured off the excess fat, added the shallots, white wine, glace, heavy cream, and herbs. Here is my final plate:


Here is my friends plate she got from the America's kitchen at lunch. When she took the cover off, we all oohed at how pretty it was:







No comments:

Post a Comment