Thursday, June 11, 2009

salt brings out the sweetness


Hey everyone, we have an intensive practical and written exam tomorrow so I wont say much but I didn't want to leave you hanging. Today we made tomato sauce (one of the mother sauces), pasta, practiced hollandaise, demi-glace, and we had our knife skills tray exam.

It was a busy day with lots of dishes, but it was a good one. I didn't take pictures of my knife skills tray, since it looks the same everyday but I did well on the test and got some extra points for finishing early. :-D

I'll mostly share the story with pictures today:

Here's our mise en place:

This is the beginnings of our tomato sauce (I made mine a la Apicius style):

As it simmers away:

And with the penne (picture isn't too good because I forgot to take one until the last second):

We also made a shallot/red wine vinaigrette:

With chiffonade of basil:



We also clarified butter for our hollandaise (which is made with egg yolks, shallot/vinegar reduction, and clarified butter emulsified into it):


As it clarifies:


We reduced the espagnole sauce we made yesterday with some brown veal stock to make demi-glace:



Chef made his tomato sauce with some vodka, red pepper flakes, and garlic:


I also had writing class today, and to prove how asinine and useless this class is, here is a picture of our professor reading us the 3 little pigs. good lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment